Career Services Resources for Career Champions
Career Champions are University faculty, staff and even students who are trained to be able to support students who are ready for career conversations. Here are some of the valuable resources available to the Pitt community. To learn more about Career Champion training, click here.
Career Central is the centralized hub of career communities, resources, and content to support students in all career exploration and professional planning.
Handshake is Pitt’s comprehensive career services platform and the hub for all things college to career– jobs, internships, career fairs, events, and more.
This is also your first stop to set up an appointment with the Internship Team and Career Consultants to discuss specific questions regarding your career journey. The platform is designed to be streamlined and provide career information tailored to personalized interests and goals. Access through the my.pitt.edu portal or at pitt.joinhandshake.com/edu
EXPLORATION AND DISCOVERY
Career consultants can assist students in learning more about their career options. There are several resources available to students such as:
- What Can I Do With This Major sheets
- YouScience (Students need to connect with the Career Center for an access code)
- Kuder Journey Career Assessment – Pitt Career Central | University of Pittsburgh
Resumes and cover letters are reviewed by career consultants, internship specialists, and graduate interns. Online Resume Review Resource – VMOCK: vmock.com/pitt
Students may have documents reviewed by:
- Scheduling with their career consultant through HANDSHAKE
- Utilizing drop-in/office hours (Daily drop-in hours from 11 am – 3 pm)
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for the first available staff
The University’s writing center is strongly encouraged for students struggling with wording and grammar.
INTERNSHIP, JOB SEARCH, AND INTERVIEW
In addition to utilizing Handshake and career-related events, students are encouraged to use additional resources provided by the Career Center, such as:
- Buzzfile, a company database: studentaffairs.pitt.edu/search/Buzzfile
- Going Global, job, internship, and cultural resources for international and domestic students: Pitt Access to GoinGlobal
- BigInterview, an online mock interview: https://pitt.biginterview.com
- The Outside the Classroom Curriculum (OCC) is a great way for students to obtain the skillset employers are seeking. Curriculum is accessible on Suitable via the my.pitt.edu portal.
o Career Readiness Guide which teaches students about professionalism. communication, critical thinking, career management, and more.
- LinkedIn Learning is on the portal as well and is perfect for learning industry-specific skills, such as project management.
The employer relations team provides numerous opportunities for students to connect with employers and alumni (Events Access on HANDSHAKE) such as:
- Information sessions, lunch ‘n learns, site visits.
- Networking nights, career fairs, and more!
- Alumni in Residence offer appointment availability and workshops on a diverse range of topics.
- Pitt Commons is also a great resource for students to build a network and seek advice from alumni. Pitt Commons – Pitt Career Central | University of Pittsburgh
Affinity Groups are Identity-focused communities that provide relevant resources and content including industry insights on employers who prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion, tips and tools for the job search and interviewing process, and much more: Affinity Community – Pitt Career Central | University of Pittsburgh
CAREER CENTER STAFF