Summer Editorial Internship
- Editorial interns are responsible for writing, editing and researching/fact-checking stories for print and online.
- Most interns contribute one or more stories per week to one or more of our online outlets and are encouraged to pitch and write stories for print.
- PM hosts numerous events throughout the year, and interns are encouraged to attend and/or assist.
- Interested students should be studying a field related to journalism, English or communications; we accept applications from students in other tracks but prefer that they have prior experience in writing, reporting, fact-checking and editing.
- We expect that our interns will pay attention to small details and be comfortable with handling a variety of editorial projects.
- Applicants should have a penchant for learning as well as top-notch writing and editing skills.
- Familiarity with photography or video-editing software is a plus but not a requirement.
- We offer part-time, unpaid positions that generally last for 13 weeks. Interns, who normally work 10-20 hours per week, must receive college credit in exchange for their time.
Visit pittsburghmagazine.com/intern or email Associate Editor Lauren Davidson at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Deadline to apply for summer internships, which typically run May-August, is Feb. 16.
Our editorial interns have gone on to intern at numerous local and national outlets, including WESA, Pittsburgh City Paper, KDKA, Carnegie Mellon University, Sampsonia Way Magazine, Pittsburgh Penguins, Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, PublicSource, Pitt Med Magazine, CBS Evening News, ABC News, The New York Times, Harvey Klinger, Great Lakes Publishing, Publishing Solutions Group, National Book Foundation, Conde Nast Traveller, Game Informer Magazine, Martha Stewart Weddings and Chronicle of Higher Education.
They have gone on to work at local and national outlets including The New York Times, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, UPMC, Times West Virginian, Pittsburgh Jewish Chronicle, The Northside Chronicle, Bustle, ModCloth, Scholastic, Men’s Health, Minneapolis Star Tribune, CNBC and National Geographic.