Are you seeking an opportunity to make a positive impact on global health in a mission driven organization?
IAVI is seeking an experienced and ambitious Research Associate II to contribute to the discovery and development of neutralizing antibodies. Join IAVI’s Neutralizing Antibody Center (IAVI-NAC) based at Scripps Research, working closely with and under supervision of a Research Scientist, the Research Associate II assists in performing cell sorting, generating sequencing libraries, and characterizes antibodies using diverse binding and functional assays. The Research Associate II prepares reagents, such as production and characterization of recombinant antigens, antibodies, and production of psuedoviruses.
- Participate in assay development with a focus on antibody discovery and characterization.
- B cell sorting via flow cytometry.
- Next-generation sequencing library preparation.
- Immunoglobulin gene cloning, production and purification.
- Functional screening assays (neutralization, ELISA, ECLIA, polyreactivity, etc.)
- Analyze data, identify and troubleshoot technical issues.
- Organize analyzed experimental data generate internal summaries for review by the supervisor.
- Independent management of weekly technical activities and communication of progress.
Education and Work Experience:
- A Bachelor’s of Science is required;
- Master’s and/or advanced Degree is preferred;
- A BS and a minimum of 2 years’ post-graduate experience OR an MS or equivalent and experience in a research lab in one of the following areas: Molecular biology, Biochemistry, Immunology, or related field is required.
- Experience in plasmid cloning, recombinant protein expression and purification is required.
- Experience in common antibody binding assays such as ELISA is required.
- Ability to perform large scale high-throughput assays is required.
- Experience in setting up and performing flow cytometry experiments is preferred.
- Research experience in Cellular Biology and Virology (e.g., cell culture, virus production) is highly desirable.
- Knowledge and experience working in BSL2 conditions with potentially infectious samples is highly desirable.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience working under minimal supervision, with experience in prioritizing and organizing a daily workload is required.
- Experience performing a time sensitive long term research study (setting up and performing experiments according to deadlines, analysis of data in a timely manner, and checking/preparing reagents ahead of time) is highly desirable.
- Experience working independently as well as collaboratively as a team member is required.
- Ability to learn and acquire proficiencies to independently perform a wide variety of standard laboratory techniques/procedures.
- Proficiency in troubleshooting and ability to appropriately modify standard procedures is required.
- Ability to effectively organize data is required.
- Prior experience working in a fast-paced environment is highly desirable.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite, especially Excel, is highly desirable.
- Cultural sensitivity and respect for diverse colleagues is highly desirable.
IAVI is a nonprofit scientific research organization dedicated to addressing urgent, unmet global health challenges including HIV and tuberculosis. Our mission is to translate scientific discoveries into affordable, globally accessible public health solutions. Through scientific and clinical research in Africa, India, Europe, and the U.S., IAVI is pioneering the development of biomedical innovations designed for broad global access. We develop vaccines and antibodies in and for the developing world and seek to accelerate their introduction in low-income countries. IAVI programs and partnerships are grounded in the regions of the world where the disease burden is the greatest, and our approach emphasizes sustainability. Our network of clinical research center partners in Africa and India helps strengthen in-country research capacity and supports the training and education of the next generation of scientists. The global impact of our science includes fundamental contributions to understanding the biology of HIV infection, which IAVI and others are applying toward advancing vaccine science and immunology. IAVI accelerates scientific discovery and development by fostering unique collaborations among academia, industry, local communities, governments, and funders to explore new and better ways to address public health threats that disproportionately affect people living in poverty. Our global reach, including a clinical research network in five countries in sub-Saharan Africa and in India, has allowed us to make fundamental contributions to understanding the epidemiology, transmission, virology, and immunology of HIV. This work played a key role in facilitating the design of promising HIV vaccine candidates, as well as the discovery of broadly neutralizing antibodies that are now being advanced as promising approaches for HIV prevention. Our integrated capabilities in vaccine and antibody discovery, development, and clinical research take advantage of bio-pharmaceutical industry expertise to accelerate the development and testing of prevention methods for HIV and other diseases. Through the Product Development Center, we support external researchers with technical and scientific expertise to accelerate the development of their own products.
About the NAC
IAVI’s Neutralizing Antibody Center (NAC) was established in 2002 at Scripps Research in La Jolla, CA, and today, is a leading source of innovation in the study of broadly neutralizing antibodies (bnAbs) and the design of immunogens to elicit these antibodies through vaccination. The NAC brings together leading investigators — including structural and computational biologists, immunologists, protein chemists, and glycobiologists — from institutions worldwide.
IAVI CORE VALUES:
- Dedication to the Mission: We are committed to the translation of scientific discoveries into affordable, globally accessible public health solutions.
- Innovative Evolution: We are committed to solving complex problems in creative and innovative ways, learning from our mistakes and successes and never giving up
- Integrity: We are committed to meeting the highest ethical and professional standards in everything we do and to taking responsibility for our actions to earn respect
- Collaboration: We are committed to embracing diversity, the power of global teamwork and the belief that by working as one we can make a difference
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship. IAVI is an equal opportunity employer and applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
IAVI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER actively committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive global organization. IAVI believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a representative candidate pool. At IAVI, we celebrate the spectrum of colleagues’ experiences and believe that dedication to our mission above all is essential to our success as a scientific global non-profit. IAVI upholds these principles through IAVI’s Global Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
IAVI has zero tolerance for discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, caste, national origin, home language, ancestry, religion, marital or civil partnership status, age, physical or mental disability, HIV status and any other medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and veteran status, in addition to any other status protected under the law in any of our locations worldwide.
Compensation and Benefits Information for US-Based Candidates:
The annual base salary for this position is targeted at $65,000.00 – 75,000.00, with some variation based on experience level. In addition, this position offers competitive benefits such as annual bonus, generous retirement savings plan, three health insurance plans to choose from, and other benefits.