As an organization whose mission is to translate science into global public health impact, working on vaccines and therapeutics, IAVI has a vaccine policy which states that subject to applicable law, we require all U.S. and Puerto Rico based employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious exemption or accommodation. We are committed to supporting our employees during this process as we work to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
Job Title: Postdoctoral Associate, AMR Antibody Discovery
Location: Neutralizing Antibody Center (NAC), Scripps Research, La Jolla, CA
Reports to: Principal Scientist, AMR Immunotherapeutics
IAVI is seeking a motivated and experienced Postdoctoral Associate, AMR Antibody Discovery to lead efforts in antibody discovery for bacterial pathogens. The Postdoctoral Associate will use standard platforms for discovery, such as single memory B cell sorting and 10x Genomics, as well as develop new platforms for discovery of highly functional antibodies against various bacterial antigens. Initial work will focus on Shigella spp. bacteria, but other Enterobacteriaceae species are also of interest. Join IAVI to contribute to exciting vaccine design, and monoclonal antibody discovery projects, translating science into global health solutions.
- Independently design and execute experiments with minimal supervision.
- Set up and operate cell sorters for antigen-specific single cell sorting.
- Clone and express antibody variable genes.
- Conduct characterization of monoclonal antibodies, including antigen identification, epitope binning, and effector function assays.
- Conduct protein production and purification in mammalian systems.
- Perform RNA extraction and NGS library prep.
- Analyze antibody and transcriptomics NGS data.
- Analyze and interpret data addressing technical hurdles.
- Mentor junior staff and collaborate with colleagues.
- Draft manuscripts and publication of research, present findings at major scientific conferences.
- Conduct independent research on a research topic with short and long-term objectives.
Education and Work Experience:
- PhD or MD is required.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience with bacterial immunology is preferred.
- A strong background in immunology and experience working with adaptive immune responses is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with protein biochemistry and production preferred.
- Capable of working in a fast-paced environment and capable of adhering to timelines and important milestones.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing reports and manuscripts and delivering engaging presentations.
- Ability to organize a daily workload by priorities, work independently and as a team member.
- Strong work ethic and interpersonal skills.
- Competence with MS Office suite is required.
- Cultural sensitivity and respect for diverse colleagues.
- Motivation and commitment to IAVI’s mission of translating science into global health impact.
IAVI is a nonprofit scientific research organization dedicated to addressing urgent, unmet global health challenges including HIV and tuberculosis. Our mission is to translate scientific discoveries into affordable, globally accessible public health solutions. Through scientific and clinical research in Africa, India, Europe, and the U.S., IAVI is pioneering the development of biomedical innovations designed for broad global access. We develop vaccines and antibodies in and for the developing world and seek to accelerate their introduction in low-income countries. IAVI programs and partnerships are grounded in the regions of the world where the disease burden is the greatest, and our approach emphasizes sustainability. Our network of clinical research center partners in Africa and India helps strengthen in-country research capacity and supports the training and education of the next generation of scientists. The global impact of our science includes fundamental contributions to understanding the biology of HIV infection, which IAVI and others are applying toward advancing vaccine science and immunology. IAVI accelerates scientific discovery and development by fostering unique collaborations among academia, industry, local communities, governments, and funders to explore new and better ways to address public health threats that disproportionately affect people living in poverty. Our global reach, including a clinical research network in five countries in sub-Saharan Africa and in India, has allowed us to make fundamental contributions to understanding the epidemiology, transmission, virology, and immunology of HIV. This work played a key role in facilitating the design of promising HIV vaccine candidates, as well as the discovery of broadly neutralizing antibodies that are now being advanced as promising approaches for HIV prevention. Our integrated capabilities in vaccine and antibody discovery, development, and clinical research take advantage of bio-pharmaceutical industry expertise to accelerate the development and testing of prevention methods for HIV and other diseases. Through the Product Development Center, we support external researchers with technical and scientific expertise to accelerate the development of their own products.
About the NAC
IAVI’s Neutralizing Antibody Center (NAC) was established in 2002 at Scripps Research in La Jolla, CA, and today, is a leading source of innovation in the study of broadly neutralizing antibodies (bnAbs) and the design of immunogens to elicit these antibodies through vaccination. The NAC brings together leading investigators — including structural and computational biologists, immunologists, protein chemists, and glycobiologists — from institutions worldwide.
IAVI CORE VALUES:
- Dedication to the Mission: We are committed to the translation of scientific discoveries into affordable, globally accessible public health solutions.
- Innovative Evolution: We are committed to solving complex problems in creative and innovative ways, learning from our mistakes and successes and never giving up
- Integrity: We are committed to meeting the highest ethical and professional standards in everything we do and to taking responsibility for our actions to earn respect
- Collaboration: We are committed to embracing diversity, the power of global teamwork and the belief that by working as one we can make a difference
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship. IAVI is an equal opportunity employer and applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
IAVI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER actively committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive global organization. IAVI believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a representative candidate pool. At IAVI, we celebrate the spectrum of colleagues’ experiences and believe that dedication to our mission above all is essential to our success as a scientific global non-profit. IAVI upholds these principles through IAVI’s Global Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
IAVI has zero tolerance for discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, caste, national origin, home language, ancestry, religion, marital or civil partnership status, age, physical or mental disability, HIV status and any other medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and veteran status, in addition to any other status protected under the law in any of our locations worldwide.
Compensation and Benefits Information for US-Based Candidates:
The annual base salary for this position is targeted at $70,000.00 – 80,000.00, with some variation based on experience level. In addition, this position offers competitive benefits such as annual bonus, generous retirement savings plan, three health insurance plans to choose from, and other benefits.