Four Resources for Students with Disabilities Transitioning from School to Work

Congratulations to this year’s high school, vocational/technical school and college graduates! Earning your degree or certificate is a great achievement and you should be very proud of your hard work!

Now that you have reached this milestone, you may be asking yourself, “What’s next?”

Below are four resources recent grads with disabilities can explore for job support after graduation.

1.    Project SEARCH High School Transition Program – The Project SEARCH High School Transition Program is a unique school-to-work program that takes place entirely at a place of employment. Through this program you can receive job-skill training, explore career options and build your network. Learn more about Project SEARCH here.

2.    National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability (NCWD) for Youth – If you are transitioning from high school to the workforce, NCWD is a good source of information on jobs for youth with disabilities. Their High School/High Tech program can provide you with a chance to explore jobs leading to technology-related careers. Find a program near you here.

3.    Workforce Recruitment Program for College Students with Disabilities (WRP) – The Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP) is a program that connects highly motivated college students and recent graduates with disabilities to federal and private sector employers. The program seeks college students and recent graduates with disabilities who are eager to prove their ability in the workplace through summer internships or permanent jobs. Visit WRP’s students‘ page to learn more.

4.    Bridges from School to Work – Bridges from School to Work helps young people with disabilities find job opportunities by matching them to entry-level workforce needs. Apply on the program’s youth page.
If you are a young, transitioning Social Security disability beneficiary, the Ticket to Work program can connect you with free employment support services such as career counseling and job placement. Learn more at or call our Help Line to talk to someone about your situation: 1-866-968-7842 (V) or 1-866-833-2967 (TTY).


By Alexander Ball
Alexander Ball Internship Associate / Pre-Law Advisor